Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Lil' Twister Pinwheels

I have a lot of batik scraps and have been trying to decide what to do with them.  Came across the Twister and Lil' Twister tools that my sister loaned me a few months ago and decided that would be a good project for my batiks.  The first step was cutting the scraps into 5" charm squares, since I decided to use the Lil' Twister.  Then I put 30 squares together with a 3" border, and ended up with this block measuring 23-1/2" x 28".  After cutting out the "twister" blocks and putting them back together, the finished block will measure 18-1/2" x 21-1/2".   
 
 
 
 
After getting this first 30-patch block together, I took the Lil' Twister and started cutting across one of the long edges, lining up the "crosshairs" on the tool with the seams between the blocks (and for the first row, between the blocks and the border).  The tool has little legs on the bottom so you don't have to worry about trying to make it lay flat where the corners meet.  Start cutting on the right edge and move to the left.
 
 
 
 
 
As I cut each Lil' Twister block, I laid them to the side keeping them in the same order in which I cut them.  When I got all the blocks cut across one row, I stacked them from left to right, took them to my machine and sewed that row together.  And YES, they do have bias edges after cutting with the Lil' Twister tool, so I had to be very careful sewing and pressing.
 
 
 
 
I didn't get to my sewing room until about 7:00 p.m., so I only got three rows together before deciding to call it a night in my sewing room and do this post.  After adding the second row, you start seeing the pinwheels.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments: